Answers to questions about legislation concerning Tiny Houses, necessary permits, land, traffic laws and other useful information.

1. WoodyWay ?

Company: Founded at the end of 2016 by Fabien Cazes (32 years old), WoodyWay is a Swiss-French company manufacturing Tiny Houses.

WoodyWay it's also a Blog with various topics around the Tiny House movement and micro-houses, architectural influences and eco-construction.


Mission: Innovate in the interior space optimization, promote the local sector, to offer housing solutions for students with Tiny Houses, to democratize the Tiny House movement in Switzerland and Europe, to meet local politics and for goal to encourage the democratization of the Tiny Houses and the so-called "light" habitat.

2. Tiny House(s) ?

Tiny Houses are pretty small houses constructed of wood, usually mounted on trailers and therefore mobile.

They address the need for more mobile, ecological, self-sufficient, comfortable and all-season housing.

3. Moving Tiny Houses?

In Switzerland, France and the rest of Europe, there is no legislation specific to Tiny House as the concept is still new. In Switzerland and France in particular, if your vehicle is certified, your Tiny House will be classified as a "caravan" or "living recreational vehicle".

WoodyWay is required to certify its vehicles to the Geneva Navigation Service for its Swiss customers.

For our French customers, they are free to choose whether or not to register their vehicle(s) with the DREAL (Regional Directorate for Environment, Planning and Housing), with the knowledge that all our Tiny Houses are built according to the criteria required by the authorities of the respective countries.

This allows you the choice to travel with confidence in Switzerland and the rest of Europe if you decide to have your vehicle certified with the competent authorities.

The certification provides security in anticipatation of future laws that will certainly classify a Tiny House as an RV and not as trailer + load.

Furthermore, you will have a product that is simpler to insure and clearly identifiable in the event of a dispute.

According to Swiss laws:

  • A BE permit is required to operate with this type of vehicle.
  • This permit is very simple to obtain.
  • You can also rent a trailer vehicle with a driver at a low cost to move it occasionally.
  • La carte grise comprendra donc la remorque et la petite maison comme une seule et même entité, ce qui facilite son assurance.
  • The vehicle registration will therefore include the trailer and the small house as one entity, which simplifies insuring the Tiny House.

According to French laws:

  • Same for the license. (EB license)
  • The French traffic law recognizes a Tiny House as a trailer + load. However, we do not recommend this approach for various reasons, including security and protection against future laws that could, for example, simply forbid moving your Tiny House.

4. Where can Tiny Houses be located?

As with traffic laws, land legislation differs greatly between countries, cantons and municipalities.

According to Swiss laws:

  • In Switzerland, you can stay in campsites.
  • Thanks to the beautiful mountains and countryside, some of these campsites can offer all the comforts and tranquility of your dreams. (See Where to go camping in Switzerland ).
  • On a private land, a building permit will be required, especially in the canton of Geneva.
  • In some cantons, the decision-making power rests with the municipalities. It is important to understand that the requirement of a building permit does not in any way prevent you from remaining "mobile". Moreover, laws will probably evolve in a favourable direction as all the so-called "light" residences represent the future of housing.
  • WoodyWay vous propose de vous aider dans vos démarches administratives.
  • WoodyWay can assist you in your administrative procedures. (See Land for Tiny Houses). Do not hesitate to contact your town hall, canton or municipality for more information.
  • We are happy to help our customers (during the purchase process) to obtain all necessary information to find a location and apply for a building permit, if necessary.

According to French laws:

  • Your Tiny House can be parked near a house for a maximum of 3 months after declaration in town hall. A 12-month extension is frequently allowed. It can also be parked in campsites, residential recreational parks or attached to an agricultural building.
  • You can contact your town hall at any time for more information.
  • We are happy to help our customers (during the purchase process) to obtain all necessary information to find a location and apply for a building permit, if necessary.

5. Heating, water and electricity?

WoodyWay Tiny Houses are perfectly designed to be self-sufficient, but can also be connected to water and electricity networks, if needed.

Several heating options are available, such as wood stove, gas heating or other systems on request.

Network-connected Mode:

  • External 220v outlet with 12v converter internally.
  • External connector for water intake and outlet.

Self-sufficient Mode:

  • Gas water heater with plumbing circuit and water recovery tank.
  • Rechargeable caravan battery with high charge capacity. Optional solar panels. (Battery can be recharged on the electric grid.)

6. Delivery time, not too long?

With WoodyWay, you don’t need to worry!

Delivery times are 7 to 10 weeks depending on the model.

The DIY models can be delivered in an even shorter time.

7. Guarantees?

WoodyWay Tiny Houses come with a two-year warranty.

Heaters and other electrical appliances are under the manufacturer’s warranty. (2—5 years, according to the appliance).

8. What if I have other questions?

We would be happy to answer your questions through our contact form or by telephone on +41 76 320 12 06.

Pin It